Sunday, March 2, 2008

Pepakura Helmet

I tester helmet using the default scale in the .pdo file (I think it was 26-27cm). After assembling, the helmet fit OK, but I had trouble getting it over my ears. Once it was on, I realized I wouldn't have much room for padding. I decided to scale it up to 30cm. I printed Flying Squirel's high detail Mark VI helmet unfolded by Last Spartan on some 110# cardstock that I purchased from Wal-Mart. I started to cut and assemble it until I found a version unfolded by Bevbor. This unfolding was much better as pieces are unfolded the same for both left and right sides and all of the tiny pieces (which made me vomit a little bit in my mouth) in the Last Spartan unfold are now eliminated. I've completed the sides, back, and most of the jaw. I did double up on the cardstock for the underside of the visor (I might even add a little more for support). 


I am using an x-acto blade (sharp side) to score the folds. It really takes me using extra force to cut through 110# cardstock using the x-acto blade so I don't worry about accidently cutting through a fold. The "pen method" listed on the 405th forums didn't leave as clean of a fold as the x-acto blade does. I am also using brush-on superglue to bond the pieces together. It's hard to get a hot glue gun into a tiny space and I didn't want to get burned by the glue oozing out when I squeeze the pieces together. At worst, a little superglue dries on the tips of my fingers and I will have a little extra padding for the tips of my fingers when I play guitar.

No comments: